What is the mission of Theology on Tap in NYC?
- Theology on Tap NYC’s mission is to provide young adults with an opportunity to explore issues and topics that relate to the Catholic faith in a fun and casual environment. TOTNYC hosts various talks by both religious and lay speakers to encourage thoughtful discussions and a deeper understanding of the faith. TOTNYC operates in complete fidelity to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church.
When did Theology on Tap begin?
- The program for young adults originated in 1981 in the Archdiocese of Chicago. There are now programs throughout the United States, including Atlanta, Washington, D.C., and Boston.
How did Theology on Tap come to New York City?
- Coworkers from Regnum Christi first brought Theology on Tap to New York City in 2000. Events were held in Irish pubs around Manhattan. Now a completely volunteer-run ministry, TOTNYC hosts a series of “six-pack” talks in the winter/spring and another series in the fall.
Discussing theology in a bar? What does the Church think of that?
- Theology on Tap is in perfect alignment with the Pope! The Holy Father tells us to bring the gospel of Christ into the streets and to speak it from the housetops, and to go to where people are. Theology on Tap aims to discuss the teachings of the Catholic Church in a comfortable, nonthreatening environment.
Can anyone come?
- For the Fall 2018 season, Theology on Tap is striving to primarily serve Catholic (and non-Catholic) young adults in their 20’s. For additional listings of events or groups geared toward a 30-something audience, please visit http://www.catholicnyc.com.
I have a great idea for a bar, speaker, etc.
- Great! If you wish to send us ideas or have questions, please email us: theologyontapNYC@gmail.com